[vcf-midatlantic] SOT: Any dBase fans here?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Sep 7 14:05:59 EDT 2020

On 9/7/20 10:26 AM, David Gesswein via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> I don't need the dBASE III stuff though thought I would reminisce some.
> I did work in dbase II with Clipper compiler starting on our TI PC. The family
> raised show rabbits and I wrote programs in it for keeping track of rabbits
> and printing pedigrees and running shows. We sold the programs to other rabbit
> people. Used dBASE III a little at work. Purchasing was oriented to production
> so engineering orders weren't tracked well. I used terminal emulator on a PC to
> screen scrape the MIS system running on the VAX, KEDIT (IBM XEDIT like editor)
> with REXX scripting language to reformat into files that could be read in
> by dBASE and merge the information from the files to print a report with
> status of parts to go bug purchasing/receiving.

   Neat!  I did a lot with Clipper too, at one of my first industry jobs
many years ago, in Lawrenceville NJ.  We were a small (<5 people)
company writing custom software that joined databases with desktop
publishing, for the creation of large directories, like phone books.
The software was all written in Clipper, and output to files ingested by
Ventura, and produced camera-ready output usually on a Varityper VT-600.
  Those were great times, and I learned a LOT.

   Clipper is a great compiler!

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ