[vcf-midatlantic] SOT: Any dBase fans here?

Michael Thompson michael.99.thompson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 12:09:57 EDT 2020

> From: Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com>
> Subject: Re: [vcf-midatlantic] SOT: Any dBase fans here?
>
>    Neat!  I did a lot with Clipper too, at one of my first industry jobs
> many years ago, in Lawrenceville NJ.  We were a small (<5 people)
> company writing custom software that joined databases with desktop
> publishing, for the creation of large directories, like phone books.
> The software was all written in Clipper, and output to files ingested by
> Ventura, and produced camera-ready output usually on a Varityper VT-600.
>   Those were great times, and I learned a LOT.
>
>    Clipper is a great compiler!
>
>              -Dave
>
> --
> Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
> New Kensington, PA

I maintained a Used Car Dealership management package that was written in
dBase. I converted it to Clipper, dramatically enhanced the financial
management capability, and made it multi-user through a network. The
performance and capability that you could get from PC-XT and PC-AT systems
was really impressive.

--
Michael Thompson