[vcf-midatlantic] Not quite so linked lists (of books)

Jeffrey Brace jeffrey at vcfed.org
Sun Sep 13 18:44:35 EDT 2020

Hackers by Steven Levy: It has a good history of hacking in the 60's and
70's
Dealers of Lightning: Xerox PARC and the Dawn of the Computer Age by
Michael Hiltzik: The history of Xerox Parc which was seminal in many modern
computer technologies
On The Edge by Brian Bagnell: History of Commodore Computers because I
think they had a lot of the best selling computers and MOS with the 6502,
etc.
Racing the Beam by Ian Bogost and Nick Montfort: About Atari a great game
making company. Also shows how hard it was to program games back then.
ENIAC: The Triumphs and Tragedies of the World's First Computer by Scott
McCartney. The beginning of programmable, digital, general purpose
computers that sparked further development.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 6:35 PM Adam Michlin via vcf-midatlantic <

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm embarking on a, hopefully fun, project to create lists of books for
> various vintage computer related projects.
>
> The first one is as broad as them come:
>
> What five books would you recommend to someone completely new to the hobby?
>
> Parameters:
>
> Let us assume the people are adults (children's books will be a separate
> discussion). Books can be currently published or vintage.. physical or
> digital... Let us also assume the readers have a basic understanding of
> how to use a standard (say Windows 10 or macOS) computer.
>
> If possible, please include why you think the book should be on the
> list. I'll be buying (the ones I do not own) the most (quantity and
> quality) recommended books, reading them, compiling my recommendation
> for the final list, posting it here for people to tear apart, and then
> ultimately posting it publicly in an appropriate space. Please post to
> the list so that other people can see your recommendations (and maybe
> even find a book they want to buy!).
>
> Oh, and feel free to recommend even just one book. The more information
> the merrier!
>
> Thanks!
>
>          -Adam

Jeff Brace
Vice President & Board Member
Vintage Computer Festival East Show-runner
http://www.vcfed.org/
jeffrey at vcfed.org
cell: 732-759-1783