[vcf-midatlantic] Not quite so linked lists (of books)

Adam Michlin amichlin at swerlin.com
Sun Sep 13 19:11:47 EDT 2020

Ooooh.. great start.

On 9/13/2020 6:44 PM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:
> Hackers by Steven Levy: It has a good history of hacking in the 60's
> and 70's
Yep, I love this one. I'd dare say this will be a finalist.
> Dealers of Lightning: Xerox PARC and the Dawn of the Computer Age by
> Michael Hiltzik: The history of Xerox Parc which was seminal in many
> modern computer technologies
Just ordered this one.
> On The Edge by Brian Bagnell: History of Commodore Computers because I
> think they had a lot of the best selling computers and MOS with the
> 6502, etc.

Don't know this one, will order it.

> Racing the Beam by Ian Bogost and Nick Montfort: About Atari a great
> game making company. Also shows how hard it was to program games back
> then.
Love this book, but I have two issues with it for rank beginners:

1. It gets *very* technical. A 6502 geek like me loves it... not so
intro friendly.
2. It reads a bit more like someone's dissertation than a fully edited
book. Really, though, 1 is more the issue.
> ENIAC: The Triumphs and Tragedies of the World's First Computer by
> Scott McCartney. The beginning of programmable, digital, general
> purpose computers that sparked further development.

Will also order this one.

Thanks!

        -Adam