[vcf-midatlantic] Not quite so linked lists (of books)

Adam Michlin amichlin at swerlin.com
Mon Sep 14 19:16:44 EDT 2020

Hi Herb,

I'm afraid I do not have good answers to your good questions.

My day job is as a teacher, so I spend most of my time trying to decide
how to introduce subjects to students who, by definition, lack
experience in the subject. What I've learned in decades of teaching is
that there really is no perfect way to introduce a subject and my way of
successfully introducing a subject might be very different that another
teacher's method.

Such it is with any lists of books. There will never be a perfect list,
but maybe I can develop at least one so-so list. To me, the best way to
create such a list is to get recommendations from a wide variety of
sources and have a back and forth conversation, at least to some extent,
about why each person has selected their particular book and how it
might introduce a subject to someone new to vintage computing and what
our theoretical average person without experience might be interested in
learning. Quite selfishly, I also get recommendations for books for my
own personal education, but I can live with that because so does
everyone else reading this list.

Alas, I well appreciate that no hobby will ever agree on one single
list. My list will be rudimentry and flawed, but will at least be an
attempt, ever so imperfectly, to answer the question of "OK, I'm
interested in vintage computing, whan can I read that will help me
decide what I want to learn more about?".

Guilty as charged for the sin of being vague and not only do I
understand why you would choose not to participate, I think absolutely
nothing less of you for doing so.

Best wishes,

          -Adam