[vcf-midatlantic] VCF East Swap Meet - Save the Date - Saturday November 7 (Rain: Sunday November 8)

Jameel Akari jakari at bithose.com
Wed Sep 16 20:32:00 EDT 2020

I’ll just reply to the original here to bump some of the important information and ask a question:

> On Sep 13, 2020, at 12:32 PM, Adam Michlin via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
>
> DATE: Saturday, November 7, with Rain Date Sunday, November 8
> TIME: 9AM TO 6PM
> Location: InfoAge, 2201 Marconi Road Wall, NJ 07719
>
> $20 for vendors for first space, $10 for each additional space. 4 spaces max - BRING YOUR OWN TABLES/BLANKETS/WHATEVER

How big is one “space”?  Given that it’s outdoor, “one 10x10' popup tent size” is where my head’s at.

In order to get any crowd down to Infoage for this swap meet, it needs to be advertised outside this email group.(Various Reddits, Facebook groups, and Discords come to mind.). What’s been done on that front?

It has to reach some critical mass of sellers and buyers to make it worthwhile for anyone.  I’m not driving a frankly miserable 3.5 hours with a carload of stuff for three people to show up.  So, how do we sell it?

Part II:  Swap Meet Stories:  Maybe this will scratch my itch that the MIT Flea normally did for me.  That had to be cancelled the entirety of this year and won’t be back until April or May.  The crowds wax and wane with the seasons at MIT Flea, but it’s the sort of weird intersection of computers, electronics, and oldskool boatanchor-ham-radio I’ve always enjoyed, and it attracts a varied and diverse crowd.   (Though some of that crowd last time I was there was scrappers looking for gold and copper, and that’s quite sad to see.)

Best MIT Flea find: an SGI Indy in the middle of he floor of the parking garage, with the words “SCRAP! LEFT FOR DEAD!” scrawled on the top cover.  Fine, I’ll pick this thing up and if nothing else I can pry off its badge.  Got it home, threw in some memory and it fired right up.  Still have it.  I selected a nicer looking Indy for my first VCF East exhibit, but it probably had that very-nearly-a-wheel-chock Flea machine’s power supply in it.

Best MIT Flea moment: Selling my Tek 500 series scopes for something approaching actual money to somebody who genuinely enjoys them.  Better still: not having to have carried them back home.

Worst MIT Flea moment: coming down with heat exhaustion & dehydration from being outside in the sun all day excitedly selling said stuff.  Circling back to the beginning of “why a tent even if it’s not raining.”

—
Jameel Akari