[vcf-midatlantic] Moving files from an old 68k-Mac to an emulator or other machine

Richard Cini rich.cini at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 08:04:56 EDT 2020

Herb -

The backstory is that I wanted to bring a “Mac on a Stick” to my mom’s house and show her the old files and things from when she taught English at the middle school in her town (she’s long retired now). There’s a lot of interesting stuff she collected and some very creative things she did using PageMaker.

So, I created a vMac environment on a thumb drive that actually matched her system (MacSE, 100MB drive, all the same software). The original programs exist on-line (I have most of the disks too) but I needed the data.

But, you bring up an excellent point about data migration in general. I’ve done it a handful of times on individual files and it requires multiple machines running different versions of the program. For example, migrating a Word for Mac 1.0 document with formatting requires it being passed through at least two versions to get it “modern” enough to work. Or even like an old WordPerfect 5 doc on the PC. And that doesn’t even cover a file on an old S100 machine where there is a migration “dead end” like WordStar. Those you just need to find the “lowest common denominator” file and bring that over.

Rich

http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
Long Island S100 User’s Group