[vcf-midatlantic] OT: Looking for recommendations on new soldering station

Sentrytv sentrytv at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 3 21:20:14 UTC 2021

> On Aug 3, 2021, at 4:50 PM, Ethan O'Toole via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
>

>> I think everyone should have a WES/WESD51 on their tool shelf.  They are awesome, built like tanks, easy to train on, simple, work well, portable, and you can feel OK loaning out.
>> I love my metcal 500, but it's not leaving the bench.
>> Jim
>
> I had one of the Orange Wellers growing up. I dunno, for the price point I think I like my Hakko more. The downside on the hakko is the UI is a little strange and it would be easy to knock the calibration off. The WESD51 is the digital readout baby blue thing?
>
> A friend swears by the Pace setups. He has the extruded aluminum box thing that drives 3 tools, a soldering and desoldering tool for it. No hot air. I dunno if I like the sucker on a long hose as it creates more dead space needed to pull vacuum for solder removal, I've been using an 808 (the Hakko not the Roland) for a while and like it. But the 808 is tending to jam more, but that is probably from flux + chipquik + RoHS solder.
>
> Nothing like finding an arcade monitor where someone has replaced the flyback with plumbers solder and one of those old solder guns with the wire loop.
>
>            - Ethan

I have been using a Weller WTCP soldering station for the last 40 years and I have a few of them set up at different stations in my basement and garage.
I can change heat temp and size by changing tip.
Anytime I go to a estate sale yard or yard sale look I for parts in case I need them.
A very reliable Soldering station.

Mike R.

Sent from: