[vcf-midatlantic] How old is "vintage"? (was: Found an IBM XT in my garage.)

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 01:32:53 UTC 2021

Why this topic comes up every so many months proves that it's impossible to
pick a set of years, bracket them, and declare, A-ha Vintage!

Doing so causes one to extend the brackets every year or two like the
Julian calendar before it became clear for the need of a leap year.
Computing has eras, and one would evaluate a device, software or whatever
as "vintage of a particular era."   That's pretty much it, simple and
flexible.   Eras overlap, perspectives change, markets evolve.  Using years
alone to define vintage computing is impossible.

It might be interesting to note that many of the original arguments we had
on the subject back when we formed this club were about whether to allow
the IBM PC/XT in as vintage.  At the time the consensus was no, the IBM PC
was too new to be vintage.  When we did the huge IBM PC exhibit at VCF 5 or
whatever it was the controversy was that it was too early to allow an
exhibit about the IBM PC.  I remember Evan was kind of against it at the
time but we did it anyway.

BIll
kennettclassic.com

On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 8:53 PM Adam Michlin via vcf-midatlantic <