[vcf-midatlantic] Happy Birthday IBM-PC

madodel madodel at mac.com
Thu Aug 12 20:26:34 UTC 2021

On 8/12/21 20:08, Bruce via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> Colleagues and I were discussing the Sinclaire pocket computer with 1kB
> (>GASP<) of memory, back then.  But we were spoiled by access to mainframe
> computers with (double >GASP<) 14 GB of memory!  (IIRC.  Maybe it was 14
> MB?)

I don't think anyone had GB of anything back in the 80's. I remember back
then when our IBM mainframe was upgraded to 1mb of core memory and that was
serving 3 hospitals with 100's of terminals. My phone has 4 GB of RAM and
256GB of flash storage. I don't remember how much DASD storage the
mainframe had but the disk drives were huge.

Mark