[vcf-midatlantic] Macromedia Director support in ScummVM

Dylan Servilla dservilla at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 20:55:34 UTC 2021

Hi, I'm Dylan. I've been a docent at the VCF museum since last May, and I'm
there most weekends. I'm also a computer science student at Rutgers New
Brunswick and a developer for ScummVM, the game engine reimplementation
project.

I've been working on ScummVM's Macromedia Director engine for the past two
years. It was just officially announced, and I thought the list might be
interested: https://www.scummvm.org/news/20210817/

Macromedia Director was originally released in 1985 as MacroMind
VideoWorks, an animation program for the Macintosh. Soon after, a scripting
language was introduced, the program was renamed Director, and it became
heavily used in CD-ROM games in the 1990s. ScummVM now supports early
Director titles, allowing them to be played natively on modern computers.
Eventually this will be able to play a huge number of old CD-ROM games.

The engine has gotten some media coverage, including in Ars Technica, but
be aware that it isn't entirely accurate.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/08/scummvm-now-supports-macromedia-director-for-early-cd-rom-games/

The engine is currently in the testing stage, and it will be included in
the ScummVM 2.5.0 release next month.

Dylan Servilla