[vcf-midatlantic] 30 Years of Linux

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Thu Aug 26 01:12:24 UTC 2021

On 8/25/21 2:18 PM, Christian Liendo wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 1:56 PM Neil Cherry <ncherry at linuxha.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a 6386 with an old version of Linux on it (1.2?). I think you'd also
>> need to mention the *BSDs also as they were doing 'battle' at the same time.
>>
>> I'll need to see if I can get the 6386(sx) started it hasn't run in a long
>> time.
>>

> I agree with you that BSD was very important, I worked for an ISP and
> we used to use a lot of software that only ran on BSD.
>
> If you really want to discuss it. NeXT was BSD based, MacOS and IOS
> for the Iphone are based on Darwin which is BSD based.

Those are based on Mach and BSD (I think, don't quote me though). I was
thinking PC BSD (?), NetBSD and another that I think became FreeBSD.
There was a hot law suite about BSD at the time that allowed Linux to
get all the attention because it wasn't tied up in court.

It is my opinion that if these free BSDs had not been tied up that they
might have eclipsed Linux. It was an interesting time. I recall scrounging
up something like 150 1.2M 5 1/4" disks so I could load Linux on the 6386sx.
I think it was a few years later that I bought Linux on a CD. That was great!
No more swapping disks for hours on end. Heck no creating the disks in the
first place amd I think it was like $25 for the CD (I might still have it).

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com