[vcf-midatlantic] 30 Years of Linux

Christian Liendo cliendo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 12:22:05 UTC 2021

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 9:12 PM Neil Cherry <ncherry at linuxha.com> wrote:

> Those are based on Mach and BSD (I think, don't quote me though). I was
> thinking PC BSD (?), NetBSD and another that I think became FreeBSD.

I get it, I'm just saying a lot of devices were based on BSD.  Heck
Juniper's JUNOs and Citrix's netscaler are BSD based.

As for Mach, I know that linux is just considered the kernel. BSD is
the kernel and the OS and so you can have BSD running with a Mach
kernel. I have seen NeXT and Darwin defended as BSD based.

> There was a hot law suite about BSD at the time that allowed Linux to
> get all the attention because it wasn't tied up in court.

I think the lawsuit you are talking about is this one.

UNIX System Laboratories, Inc. v. Berkeley Software Design, Inc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNIX_System_Laboratories,_Inc._v._Berkeley_Software_Design,_Inc.

> It is my opinion that if these free BSDs had not been tied up that they
> might have eclipsed Linux.

I can see that. I have a completely right field opinion as to why I
saw adoption. This is my own opinion and I cannot state it is true.

I saw a lot of companies who ran Sun move to Linux because of
companies like Red Hat. Many businesses wanted a company that they
could get support from and I don't remember a company that supported
BSD like Red Hat supported Linux.

I know there were other Linux companies but I would say Red Hat
because thats the one I remember the most.

I remember my company adopted Linux because it was certified for the
applications we used and thus we moved off SunOS and then moved
everything else to linux.

> It was an interesting time.

I agree. I remember working on Sun boxes running Solaris, SGIs running
IRIX. My old company had an Apple server running AIX. And I had
learned unix Amiga running System Vr4 when I worked in Amagination.

Good times.