[vcf-midatlantic] VCF East 2021: The World of IBM

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 17:53:58 UTC 2021

On Fri, Aug 27, 2021 at 7:58 AM Jeff Salzman via vcf-midatlantic
> "3. Products that run x86 code, but aren't natively x86 - either
> through hardware or software (so, for example, an '030 Mac IIcx
> running SoftPC - which we don't currently have). We call this x86 on
> !x86 (read as x86 on not x86)"
>
> That could also include the Commodore Amiga running PC-Task. I did a lot of
> my WordPerfect for DOS activity on that emulation platform.

I think it was PC-Task, but there was a soft x86 emulator that
supported ISA devices attached through the GG2 Bus+/GoldenGate
Bridgecard.  I got a report from a user that he was able to control an
FM Tuner card with a DOS app with no x86 in sight.  Someone else got
an EPROM programmer with a proprietary ISA card working similarly.  As
long as the ISA card doesn't use DMA (there's no DMA engine present
and the DMA pins are N.C.), it has a good chance of working.

I'd be happy to assist if someone was going that route.

-ethan