[vcf-midatlantic] Palm Pilot PDA: 25 years old!

Jeffrey Jonas jeffrey.scott.jonas at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 18:30:08 UTC 2021

According to Wikipedia, The Pilot 1000 and Pilot 5000 were the first
generations of PDAs
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_digital_assistant> produced by Palm
Computing <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_(PDA)> (then a subsidiary of U.S.
Robotics <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Robotics>). It was introduced
in March 1996.

Is anyone still into them? Are there any surviving archives or repositories?

I reluctantly retired my Palm PDA as my electronic calendar because my
Android phone's Google calendar is always with me and auto-syncs to other
devices :-/ But I have heaps of accessories worthy of keeping them running
for other uses.

I remember when the trains were full of business people "beaming" each
other contact info and notes using the Palm Pilot, Casio BOSS or Sharp
Wizard. Now it's just a cellphone app :-/

Citing Sharp Wizard - Wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_Wizard>
The *Sharp Wizard* is a series of electronic organizers
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_organizer> released by Sharp
Corporation <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_Corporation>. The first
model was the *OZ-7000* released in 1989, making it one of the first
electronic organizers to be sold.

Citing Throwback Thursday: The "personal organizer" we had before the
Newton : Apple World Today
<https://www.appleworld.today/2015/05/28/throwback-thursday-the-personal-organizer-we-had-before-the-newton/>

Back before the Newton MessagePad made a splash in 1993 as the first
“Personal Digital Assistant”, several consumer electronics companies were
making handheld devices designed to do all of the things that we take for
granted now on our iPhones and Apple Watches — take short notes, check our
calendar, make appointments, and look up phone numbers. One of these
devices was the Casio B.O.S.S. SF-8000 ... B.O.S.S. stood for “Business
Organizer Scheduling System.” This device came out in 1990

And there's the first smartphone:

IBM Simon - Wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Simon>

IBM debuted a prototype <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prototype> device,
code named "Sweetspot" in November 1992 at COMDEX
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COMDEX>

Telxon made handheld barcode scanners that were essentially PDAs, as early
as 1983 but I cannot find any references. Does anyone have any pointers?

-- jeff jonas