[vcf-midatlantic] Palm Pilot PDA: 25 years old!

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 21:40:54 UTC 2021

Hello!
Funny you bring this up. Actually Jeff J I use them for displaying
information using an app that presents itself as a Matrox Orbital
display device. And for a while a company out there in the wilds of
Illinois supported the Palm as an event logging tool. They made
available an app that translated serial data thrown at it into Hex
numbers and ASCII characters. Which I also use for debugging serial
data delivery. I also collect them. Those guys and the Handspring
work-alike.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com

On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 1:30 PM Jeffrey Jonas via vcf-midatlantic

> According to Wikipedia, The Pilot 1000 and Pilot 5000 were the first
> generations of PDAs
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_digital_assistant> produced by Palm
> Computing <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_(PDA)> (then a subsidiary of U.S.
> Robotics <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Robotics>). It was introduced
> in March 1996.
>
> Is anyone still into them? Are there any surviving archives or repositories?
>
> I reluctantly retired my Palm PDA as my electronic calendar because my
> Android phone's Google calendar is always with me and auto-syncs to other
> devices :-/ But I have heaps of accessories worthy of keeping them running
> for other uses.
>
> I remember when the trains were full of business people "beaming" each
> other contact info and notes using the Palm Pilot, Casio BOSS or Sharp
> Wizard. Now it's just a cellphone app :-/
>

> Citing Sharp Wizard - Wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_Wizard>
> The *Sharp Wizard* is a series of electronic organizers
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_organizer> released by Sharp
> Corporation <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_Corporation>. The first
> model was the *OZ-7000* released in 1989, making it one of the first
> electronic organizers to be sold.
>
> Citing Throwback Thursday: The "personal organizer" we had before the
> Newton : Apple World Today
> <https://www.appleworld.today/2015/05/28/throwback-thursday-the-personal-organizer-we-had-before-the-newton/>
>
> Back before the Newton MessagePad made a splash in 1993 as the first
> “Personal Digital Assistant”, several consumer electronics companies were
> making handheld devices designed to do all of the things that we take for
> granted now on our iPhones and Apple Watches — take short notes, check our
> calendar, make appointments, and look up phone numbers. One of these
> devices was the Casio B.O.S.S. SF-8000 ... B.O.S.S. stood for “Business
> Organizer Scheduling System.” This device came out in 1990
>
> And there's the first smartphone:
>
> IBM Simon - Wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Simon>
>
> IBM debuted a prototype <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prototype> device,
> code named "Sweetspot" in November 1992 at COMDEX
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COMDEX>
>

> Telxon made handheld barcode scanners that were essentially PDAs, as early
> as 1983 but I cannot find any references. Does anyone have any pointers?
>
> -- jeff jonas
------
And as the Doctor reads out loud his notes to the assembled crew,
lawyer Perry Mason, with Duke asleep on his lap and Della who had
Junior asleep on her lap, and Paul Drake who had one of the two in
black asleep on his. Della taking notes asks, "Your saying that the
Witness insisted that he saw our client actually bending over the
victim?" The Doctor nodded, and adds, "Especially strange since the
client has a twin, both are sisters and are the sort who look alike.
The sister interviewed by Pauil insists she was nowhere near where it
happened. And you Paul says you found witnesses to back that up?" Paul
nods and goes, "Six of them it was a small meeting of the sort where
they were all Friends of Bill A." From the couch in back rumbles Igor,
"What is a Friends of Bill A?" Perry offers, "It's a self help group
to allow people who're fighting massive consumption of alcoholic
beverages to recover. It was founded by that guy when he saw how doing
so damaged badly his family and even his work habits. He recovered,
and wrote that book. It's the bible for AA and its related outfits."
Paul then adds, "I've got Williams and Faulkner looking for an unknown
triplet." From The Doctor meets Perry Mason an as yet unpublished
memoir.