[vcf-midatlantic] 2021 Event T-Shirts

Adam Michlin adam.michlin at vcfed.org
Sat Feb 6 15:55:57 UTC 2021

Hi Everyone,

With the news that VCF East has been postponed to the Fall, we are
able to move forward with one of many projects to give members more
input into the day to day running of VCF.

To that end, we're going to try a new approach to designing the T
Shirts. For those who may not know, we design one t-shirt for all
events in the year (VCF East, VCF West, and, historically, VCF Pacific
Northwest).

This year we are going to ask several graphic designers to submit
designs on the theme of the anniversary of the IBM PC 5150 and the
general theme of text adventure games. To that end, we are opening the
floor for both input and suggestions.

The running idea is to have a stylized IBM PC 5150 with a classic
Colossal Cave Adventure (CCA) quote on it. Personally, I'm hoping for
"You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike." The idea is
that CCA was played on the 5150 but also predates it on mainframes and
minicomputers.

We're also leaning towards the green and amber on black options from
last year. We won't necessarily do this every year, but it seems to
make sense when talking about the 5150 and, of course, who can resist
a good old fashioned green versus amber argument?

Once we have a quorum of submissions by graphic designers, we will
return to the membership to help decide which shirt goes to press. We
realize this takes some of the fun of the surprise out of it, but we
also realize that designing a t-shirt that more people like and have
input on is a win all around. We also have near term hopes to make
shirts available for print on demand after the events and may even
bring back some of the classic shirts (thank you, Dan Roganti! May you
RIP), also as print on demand.

General and specific suggestions, publicly or privately, are most
welcome and we would love some more ideas of different classic text
adventure quotes. To answer the most obvious question, Zork was high
on our list but there are already a lot of t-shirts with the famous
Zork quotes. We would also love any submissions of the actual drawn
design from any of you, the more the merrier!

Best wishes,

         -Adam

---
Adam Michlin