[vcf-midatlantic] SX GBIC fiber cable speed

Christian Liendo cliendo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 16:23:21 UTC 2021

If I had a house I would run OM3, I like it better than copper and I
have no problem spending the extra money on the SFPs.  We have some
rather long OM3 runs lit with 1MbpsSX and 10Gig SR SFPs. We get our
optics at OSI and I run Juniper switches.

>> You can run 10Gb over Cat6A UTP at this distance as well.  This is
>> harder to terminate by hand, but you could just get premade patch
>> cables (they will be 26-28 AWG stranded, most likely)

We ditched 10G in our top of rack because even at 3m we were having
issues. We replaced the top of rack from copper to SFP and added intel
10G SFP cards on the servers. We use 10Gbps DAC cables for 20G  per
server.

All of this is of course personal preference.