[vcf-midatlantic] SX GBIC fiber cable speed

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Tue Feb 16 17:03:57 UTC 2021

On 2/16/21 11:08 AM, MikeWillegal via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> Just too many strange incompatibilities with optical SFPs and various vendors equipment when you go optical.

When I was in the labs in 2011 we used a lot of fiber. The long haul single mode stuff was fun.
In order to use it we had to have attenuators so as to not burn out the lasers.

Yes, the SFPs was also fun/ We did have a few no-name (weren't really no-name but I can't recall
the vendor). With some equipment we'd turn off the check. Other vendors there was no turning off
the check (lock in).

The good news is that SFPs are now pretty in expensive for the distances I need. So can actually
afford to by the vendor specific SFP.

On the subject of vintage networking, I started at the end of coax (10Base2 & 10Base5). I still
have nightmare about cable splinters. ;-) I also worked with 1BaseT and that crazy FDDI which
had a large LC like connector (why did that LC like connector always end up going to a hub with
an ST connector? ;-) ). Didn't like fiber then, did love the 10BaseT hubs. A lot easier on my
hands! But my eyes can no longer easily build those cables.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com