[vcf-midatlantic] SX GBIC fiber cable speed

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Tue Feb 16 17:49:27 UTC 2021

On 2/16/21 11:31 AM, Ethan O'Toole via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
>> optics at OSI and I run Juniper switches.

Oh forgot, Chris my condolences on Juniper ;-)
I hated working with their IPv6 configs, trashed a lot of router/switch configs.
Still favor Cisco though I'm not sure what a SDN configured device looks like anymore.
Labs hit us (mS testing) with PNFs with 4K interface objects.

Hmm, SDN is getting hard to describe in anything that's easy to make sense of.

> If I had one I would probably run both, cat5 has the advantage for PoE devices.

These links will be connectivity from one switch to another, so no POE needed here. At the moment
I don't have POE switches but that will in the future.

My current switch can handle 1G (x4, SFP). I don't I'll need more than 4G of traffic between
the two switches. Most of it is small, short messaging or streaming (only 2 TVs). Later there
will be cameras (POE). But that design work for later.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com