[vcf-midatlantic] SX GBIC fiber cable speed

Christian Liendo cliendo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 18:05:46 UTC 2021

.
> Oh forgot, Chris my condolences on Juniper ;-)
> I hated working with their IPv6 configs, trashed a lot of router/switch configs.
> Still favor Cisco though I'm not sure what a SDN configured device looks like anymore.
> Labs hit us (mS testing) with PNFs with 4K interface objects.
> Hmm, SDN is getting hard to describe in anything that's easy to make sense of.

I'll take a Juniper over a Cisco any day, again personal preference.
I really like the Juniper CLI and I am very comfortable with their platform.
We looked at "SDNs", we run NSX and we just use the firewall. Problem
is with complex solutions you need a team that can troubleshoot them,
most people can't troubleshoot simple ethernet. So we keep things
simple and old school. For example, we don't run QoS, we just invest
in bigger pipes.

> My current switch can handle 1G (x4, SFP). I don't I'll need more than 4G of traffic between
> the two switches. Most of it is small, short messaging or streaming (only 2 TVs). Later there
> will be cameras (POE). But that design work for later.

I don't think you will need more than 4G either. I have an office with
2000+ people and 3x10G internet access. Our users don't peak past 6G.

When you finish your setup let me know. I like to see other designs
and I like opinions about other network devices.