[vcf-midatlantic] Personal IRIS PSU repair

Ethan O'Toole telmnstr at 757.org
Wed Feb 17 21:07:20 UTC 2021

Hello,

   Step #1, replace all the electrolytic capacitors. They dry up over time.
105c Nichicon or Panasonic from a source like Digikey, Mouser, AVNet,
Newark is top of the line. Can go with cheaper 85c caps from the same
sources. eBay and Amazon might be fakes.

   The Indigo2 power supplies fail from 4 certain caps that go bad. Not
sure about the Personal IRIS machines but tons of vintage electronics
suffer problems from them and it's usually a general first check.

   A low rent want to test them is warm it all up with a hair dryer and
sometimes they will start to work, but that isn't a given just a hack.

                       - Ethan