[vcf-midatlantic] Personal IRIS PSU repair

Jameel Akari jakari at bithose.com
Wed Feb 17 22:35:29 UTC 2021

Agreed, unless you’ve noticed something else failing, just assume bad caps and go from there. For the effort and marginal cost, I am just replacing all of them when I have a PSU apart.

One problem I’ve had on the IBM RS/6000s are case cooling fans that are stuck or slow - this causes the PSU to trip and it isn’t obvious this is happening. (Super fun when it’s VCF morning.) So if you have 3 or 4 lead fans, check those too.

The most tedious part so far has been just building the order - checking each old part, measuring dimensions, repeat. I have an Apple Xserve PSU apart on my bench still where I didn’t get perfect fits and now I have to figure out adjustments.

Also my new Hakko desoldering gun has been a revelation after 30 years of doing it the hard way. :)

--
Jameel Akari