[vcf-midatlantic] Off Topic: Confirmed fix for your messages being in an attachment

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jul 1 04:04:03 UTC 2021

On 6/30/21 11:40 PM, Douglas Crawford via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> I only recommended it so that theoretically it would end the attachment
> generation that plagues about half of messages sent on this list.. not
> that we would start sending flowery HTML stuff.
> I guess that's the problem with HTML for ya'll? It encourages too
> much formatting?  Or is it bulky?  I don't need it, certainly we
> don't need it functionally, but I don't understand what the huge
> prob is with it, educate me.

  There are philosophical issues with sending frequently tens or
hundreds of kilobytes when a few hundred bytes will do.  That doesn't
matter as much as it used to, but it still matters to some people for
real (i.e. financial) reasons.  There ARE still metered network
connections.  I myself am not on one, but I know a great many people who
are, and smartphones nearly always are.

  Next, HTML is for web pages.  Email is not web pages, it is a textual
communications medium.  The fact that uneducated developers who don't
know any better added HTML capability in some email clients does not
automatically mean it's a good idea.  At least in Thunderbird (which I
use) that drivel can be turned off.  All of this crap started when the
floodgates of nontechnical people opened up onto the Internet, and they
seemed to think that anything is really just fine as long as they found
it in a drop-down menu.  Otherwise, why would it be there, right?  That
fallacious logic assumes that the developers of the email program knew
what they were doing.

  But most importantly for me, *I* choose the text size, text color,
background color, etc that works best FOR ME to read email on all of the
devices on which I do that.  People are not welcome to attempt to
override that.  What they send is really their business...and whether or
not I bit-bucket their flowery purple fonts is mine.  That crap is
distracting and it's a waste of time, and I'm not a person with a lot of
time to waste.

  Next, honestly, who has so much free time as to think playing around
with "stylizing" their textual communications is a reasonable use of
their time?

> In the mean time, I've changed my setting to plain text, I figure
> most will follow suit.

  Hopefully.

  Ok, off my high horse, I'm getting back to firmware now.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA