[vcf-midatlantic] why all my email is plain text

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Jul 3 15:52:40 UTC 2021

On 7/3/21 11:11 AM, dave.g4ugm at gmail.com wrote:
>>> I will just say that in some environments we may have no choice. When I
>> worked all external e-mail servers were blocked, including any webmail
>> servers, and the company e-mail was a web front end that did not have any
>> option for plain text e-mail.
>>
>>   Rushing in and using complex tools without learning anything about them
>> first isn't exclusive to individuals, corporations do it too.  And further up the
>> chain to the vendor, there's really nothing that a corporation won't abuse
>> (knowingly or otherwise) in order to make more money.
>>
>>   And this STILL doesn't make it right.
>
> I am so glad I am out of this. There is such a push to "modernise" when existing methods work.

  Yes.  And more to the point, the corporations on the vendor side of
the equation are doing that pushing for profit.  The problem is, that's
not how the Internet works.  There are accepted standards (RFCs), and a
standardization process, that is peer-reviewed in the engineering
community and not corporation-centric.  Corporations don't seem to
realize that they are NOT WELCOME to try to unilaterally change the very
basics of how the Internet works.

  Until those standards (RFCs 822, 2822, 5322 in this context) are
superseded by new standards, drafted by ENGINEERS (not marketing people)
and reviewed by OTHER ENGINEERS, those standards stand, and that's all
there is to it.

  It's true that "RFC" stands for "Request For Comment", but before
anyone points that out, very early on (in the 1970s) they morphed into
being considered standards documents.

  This is distinct from things like "RS-232" (where "RS" stands for
"Recommended Standard"), which is actually "RS-232C"...the standard was
ratified and named "EIA-232-D", but we still call it "RS-232".  (the
current revision is EIA-232-F)  Unlike this, the RFC world does not
rename its work-in-progress standards when they are considered to be
accepted by the engineering community.

  (I know you know this; this is for the benefit of others here)

  There will always be those people who just float through life ignoring
the widely-accepted rules and standards that exist to keep everything
working well and keep everyone happy.  "Good netizens" get angry at
them, or just laugh at them behind their backs, every day.

> We got pushed into cloud-based computing when we could deliver it cheaper on site.
> My manager wanted to ditch tape backups and switch to "cloud based" but could never tell me what the business benefits were or how he would fund the extra bandwidth needed.

  Yup.  Moron alert.  This is what happens when technical decisions are
made by nontechnical people in reaction to glossy advertisements in
business magazines.  There used to be a website "fuckedcompany.com" that
chronicled these sorts of poor decisions.

> I remember years ago when I worked for Compaq they moved the employee expenses from a VT100 forms based system to a Web Forms system. The extra work must have cost them a fortune.

  Yup, for little or no tangible benefit.  I bet some consulting firm
made out like bandits on that.

>>   None of this reflects poorly on you personally, of course.  No disrespect
>> intended.
>
> We don't always see eye to eye and life would be boring if we did, but there are some things we agree on..

  Yes.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ