[vcf-midatlantic] why all my email is plain text

Jason Perkins perkins.jason at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 16:23:06 UTC 2021

Where I work we are in the process of migrating services to Azure. Our mail
and internal portal have been in Office 365 for some time.

It’s nice how dynamic “the cloud” can be with resources. I don’t have to
worry about mailbox storage volumes, backups, legal compliance holds…
they’re just a check box. If the power goes out at our office I don’t have
to worry that 7,000 people can’t get to their mail. Of course some things
are harder, like exporting / importing whole mailboxes.

I recently wrote a script that emails people before their passwords expire.
This needed 3 different modules for interacting with Azure AD and Exchange;
a module which was supposed to be the updated replacement for the original
MSOnline module doesn’t have all the functionality of the original. I don’t
think it will be added either, it sounds like MS is going to dump the
PowerShell modules all together and go to only API based calls? Fine if
you’re a programmer I suppose… not if you’re a scripted.

I would love… LOVE to move our primary application to Azure. We have 26 web
servers that make it run today, if it could run in IIS as a service instead
it would be so much easier to expand as load increases. But the software
uses external modules for report generation, which IIS as a service does t
support.

My main gripe with “the cloud” is that it’s a bit too ADHD, in that some
systems seem like “oooo shiny!”, are developed to ~80%, then the next shiny
thing comes along…

I have never run my own personal mail server, but I’ve done it enough
professionally to know I don’t want to, either. I just want my mail “to
work” and not have to fuss with it. Does that mean I’m giving all my info
to “don’t be evil” Google? Yes. But everything is a trade off. I’ve got
another account from mail.com that I sometimes use, but I suspect Google
will be around longer.

-Jason

On Sat, Jul 3, 2021 at 11:53 AM Dave McGuire via vcf-midatlantic <

--
Jason Perkins 313 355 0085 Sent from my iPhone