[vcf-midatlantic] Sperry Univac Core - Which computer and Capacity?

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Wed Jul 7 16:58:37 UTC 2021

Doug Crawford and his Univac Core stack:

> I'm not finding anything thing relevant on web searches, internet
> archive, or any recent sales on ebay.
> Any recommendations on where else to look?

Doug, here's my recommendation, and it's posted in public for purpose.

I suggest you photograph and describe whatever core thingy you have, as
best you can; and either create a Web page about it or find someone to
create a Web page for you (but creating a page isn't too awful). Then
host it on a vintage computing relevant Web site. And, please, update it
as you find more information.

I myself run a Web domain for vintage computing with traditional Web
pages. So I eat what I recommend. But Univac is too old and the wrong
brand for my site, sorry. I imagine there's other Web sites where Univac
content exists; maybe, core-memory content. Ask at those sites.

The reason for creating a Web page with images and content, is to draw
attention and interest. At some point, someone with interest or
knowledge will FIND your content, and contact you accordingly. Also:
with a Web page available, your "requests for help" need only be a brief
statement and a Web link. The Web page does the work; not a thread of
posts in some email archive. Over time, those posts and your page, will
build a trail that Web search will find, leading "eyeballs" (persons
searching for your interest) to your Web page and request. Those people
will feed your interests; your interest feeds them.

But Doug, nothing personal. If your interest is brief and limited, if
this seems like a lot of effort, you need do nothing further. While I
think you are missing an opportunity, it's entirely your call. You
persisted and you asked "any recommendations?"; this is a recommendation.

OK? End of response to Doug. Now, explanation to others.

So: I posted this in public list, rather than a private email to Doug,
for many reasons. 0) if someone knows a plausibly relevant Web site
which will host Doug's "find", let Doug know. 1) To make a point about
how to use the Web, in a 20th century sort of way; 2) to inform people
who have forgotten or didn't know: this is how the Web used to be,
before walled-gardens like twitter and facebook and other regulated Web
domains; and before everything was a matter of chats that only last days
or hours or minutes.

There's another whole discussion about how the Internet used to be,
versus how a lot of it operates now. I'm not gonna join that discussion,
it's in my opinion a little off-topic for Vintage Computing discussions.
It's a little hard-assed too, and I get tired of contentious
discussions. These are, after all, opinions and analysis, not facts or
Acts of God. And we in this group, are focused about vintage computing.
Modern computing or critiques of it are not on-topic.

But I saw a case in Doug's thread, where a brief lesson in 20th century
Internet use *was* relevant and on-point. There's all kinds of
activities on the Internet, including the kind I just described and
suggested to Doug. One can create Web pages with VERY ordinary tools,
and use sites focused on specific content, and not insistent on specific
Web-development tools, just to make a simple Web page. Sometimes, in
some places, "content is king" still works on the Web. The Web is not
just one thing.

regards, Herb Johnson
retrotechnology.com

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net
or try later herbjohnson AT comcast DOT net