[vcf-midatlantic] Sperry Univac Core - Which computer and Capacity?

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 19:11:31 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 1:04 PM Herb Johnson via vcf-midatlantic <

> Doug Crawford and his Univac Core stack:
>
> > I'm not finding anything thing relevant on web searches, internet
> > archive, or any recent sales on ebay.
> > Any recommendations on where else to look?
>
> Doug, here's my recommendation, and it's posted in public for purpose.
>
> I suggest you photograph and describe whatever core thingy you have, as
> best you can; and either create a Web page about it or find someone to
> create a Web page for you (but creating a page isn't too awful). Then
> host it on a vintage computing relevant Web site. And, please, update it
> as you find more information.
>
> I myself run a Web domain for vintage computing with traditional Web
> pages. So I eat what I recommend. But Univac is too old and the wrong
> brand for my site, sorry. I imagine there's other Web sites where Univac
> content exists; maybe, core-memory content. Ask at those sites.

I know Doug already knows this, but to anyone who does not...As owner of
vintagecomputer.net, I second Herb's view on how to solicit solutions to
obscure problems.  Posting a page of your own will attract random searches
and responses.  I get contacted daily about old articles and photos
I posted on my site even 15 years ago.  People supply info and suggestions,
questions, stories, etc.  I have learned a lot by simply starting a lot of
little snowballs and letting them roll.  I try to faithfully update the
articles with these updates and let the persons who provided them know /
give credit.

One can also post onto the old vintage-computer.com/vcforum if you don't
want to make or have a web site but you never know when the hatchet will
fall and the site disappears.  Just happened to cbm-hackers.  Remember our
old Yahoo forum?  Agreed that social media posts are only good for
immediate response and results, some solutions take more time than Twitter
and Facebook allow.

The web in one form or another *will* be here after we're all
gone, individual sites hopefully will be archived, but it's a race against
time in this hobby. The people who actually worked with this core board and
remember it are probably few.

Suggestion - Check Datamation magazine from the early 70's...you may find a
review on the board in there.

BIll