[vcf-midatlantic] Sperry Univac Core - Moving off topic... perhaps the last word on this.

David Gesswein djg at pdp8online.com
Tue Jul 13 00:23:00 UTC 2021

We had a UYK-20 at a previous job. Reasonable sized cube. Company made a board
that could be used to remotely operate the front panel I think with a serial
terminal.  Used the UYK-20 to run the test programs for the
AN/UYQ-21 display console emulator we made and possibly the the AN/UYA-4
emulator. Never had to poke at the guts so can't say if the core matched. It
did have core so most of the time we didn't have to reload the program from
tape. The UYQ-21 and and UYA-4 were water cooled vector display console. The
generation of emulator I was involved in used raster display with software
interpreting the vector display lists sent to the console. Fun was a lot of
the host programs generated display lists that depended on quirks of how the
original hardware executed the display lists and didn't really follow how the
manual said they were supposed to be done. We had to find these and emulate
them. Similar difficulty with current emulators trying to emulate old machines.
Had a AN/UYK-43 later. Much bigger water cooled computer. All this a long
time ago.