[vcf-midatlantic] vcf-midatlantic Digest, Vol 38, Issue 20 - a digest with NO vintage content

Crawford Griffith h.crawford.griffith at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 14:25:39 UTC 2021


Alex,

Hey, I’m trying to decide if I should sound off on this…. The
VCF-midatlantic mail list seems to achieved a sort-of milestone.  I got an
entire daily digest of non-vintage content.  I thought this list was for
announcing VCF events?  Or at least Vintage related?

A little context:  I really think communities should stay on topic, or they
will start losing the interest of their members.  If someone comes in new,
and sees a community just blathering on, especially off-topic, it seems
like just an exclusive clique.  I am a big fan of signal-to-noise ratio
 (SNR).  When you get to SNR ‘divide by zero’ error, we lose people
silently who just drop away, and the Foghorn Leghorns stay on and make it
worse.  I’ve seen entire corporate email infrastructures crushed by
reply-all storms, so I am a bit sensitive to misuse of emails and
un-necessarily broadband communication.

I’ve thought several times to ask Bruce to step in and state some rules /
principles of the list.  I would gladly help draft this, if it would help.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Crawford

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 8:01 AM <vcf-midatlantic-request at lists.vcfed.org>
wrote:

> Send vcf-midatlantic mailing list submissions to
>         vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         https://lists.vcfed.org/mailman/listinfo/vcf-midatlantic
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         vcf-midatlantic-request at lists.vcfed.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         vcf-midatlantic-owner at lists.vcfed.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of vcf-midatlantic digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1.  [OT] Cleaning a Laser printer paper pickup (Neil Cherry)
>    2. Re:  [OT] Cleaning a Laser printer paper pickup (Kenneth Gober)
>    3. Re:  [OT] Cleaning a Laser printer paper pickup (Jameel Akari)
>    4. Re:  [OT] Cleaning a Laser printer paper pickup (Mike Loewen)
>    5. Re:  [OT] Cleaning a Laser printer paper pickup (Chris Fala)
>    6. Re:  [OT] Cleaning a Laser printer paper pickup (Bill Degnan)
>    7. Re:  [OT] Cleaning a Laser printer paper pickup (Bruce)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 17:11:41 -0400
> From: Neil Cherry <ncherry at linuxha.com>
> To: vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org>
> Subject: [vcf-midatlantic] [OT] Cleaning a Laser printer paper pickup
> Message-ID: <e88dec7c-c723-e716-b685-f74d4b4b039a at linuxha.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
>
> Sort of off topic as it's not really vintage, It's about 10 years old and
> I'm not
> about to toss a working printer. :-)
>
> I have a working multi-function printer. The only issue is that its paper
> feed
> only partially picks up the paper then 'jams' or gets a no paper message.
> I'm
> pretty certain that the printer just needs a good cleaning (it's covered in
> dust). Any pointers? What works best on the pickups?
>
> It's a Brother MFC-7860DW (Wireless).
>
> --
> Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com
> http://www.linuxha.com/                         Main site
> http://linuxha.blogspot.com/                    My HA Blog
> Author of:      Linux Smart Homes For Dummies
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 17:14:51 -0400
> From: Kenneth Gober <kgober at gmail.com>
> To: vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org>
> Subject: Re: [vcf-midatlantic] [OT] Cleaning a Laser printer paper
>         pickup
> Message-ID:
>         <
> CANHrbpecrvJHPc-ejD84uXg+pWwXs4wMj1K9ehiYFuuQNnLGww at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> My experience with HP printers is that the rubber paper pickup roller gets
> hard/slick so that it doesn't pull paper properly.  If you can't get new
> rollers for your printer, there are chemicals out there that might restore
> the rubber enough that it will grab paper again.  I haven't ever used the
> chemicals because (so far) I've been able to get my hands on replacement
> rollers.
>
> -ken
>
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 5:12 PM Neil Cherry via vcf-midatlantic <
> vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
>
> > Sort of off topic as it's not really vintage, It's about 10 years old and
> > I'm not
> > about to toss a working printer. :-)
> >
> > I have a working multi-function printer. The only issue is that its paper
> > feed
> > only partially picks up the paper then 'jams' or gets a no paper message.
> > I'm
> > pretty certain that the printer just needs a good cleaning (it's covered
> in
> > dust). Any pointers? What works best on the pickups?
> >
> > It's a Brother MFC-7860DW (Wireless).
> >
> > --
> > Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com
> > http://www.linuxha.com/                         Main site
> > http://linuxha.blogspot.com/                    My HA Blog
> > Author of:      Linux Smart Homes For Dummies
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 17:36:24 -0400
> From: Jameel Akari <jakari at bithose.com>
> To: vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org>
> Subject: Re: [vcf-midatlantic] [OT] Cleaning a Laser printer paper
>         pickup
> Message-ID: <B1F60981-0B89-47EC-8873-24F4986722D2 at bithose.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
> Rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl) on a swab might be enough. If they?re
> glazed over, replacement is needed. I?ve used rubber restore products on
> paper rollers in the past and it?s hit or miss.
>
> See if Brother has a ?maintenance kit? for this model. If it?s a more
> office-y commercial model they might.
>
> --
> Jameel Akari
>
> > On Jul 20, 2021, at 5:15 PM, Kenneth Gober via vcf-midatlantic <
> vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
> >
> > ?My experience with HP printers is that the rubber paper pickup roller
> gets
> > hard/slick so that it doesn't pull paper properly.  If you can't get new
> > rollers for your printer, there are chemicals out there that might
> restore
> > the rubber enough that it will grab paper again.  I haven't ever used the
> > chemicals because (so far) I've been able to get my hands on replacement
> > rollers.
> >
> > -ken
> >
> >> On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 5:12 PM Neil Cherry via vcf-midatlantic <
> >> vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Sort of off topic as it's not really vintage, It's about 10 years old
> and
> >> I'm not
> >> about to toss a working printer. :-)
> >>
> >> I have a working multi-function printer. The only issue is that its
> paper
> >> feed
> >> only partially picks up the paper then 'jams' or gets a no paper
> message.
> >> I'm
> >> pretty certain that the printer just needs a good cleaning (it's
> covered in
> >> dust). Any pointers? What works best on the pickups?
> >>
> >> It's a Brother MFC-7860DW (Wireless).
> >>
> >> --
> >> Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com
> >> http://www.linuxha.com/                         Main site
> >> http://linuxha.blogspot.com/                    My HA Blog
> >> Author of:      Linux Smart Homes For Dummies
> >>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 17:50:36 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Mike Loewen <mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us>
> To: Jameel Akari via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org>
> Subject: Re: [vcf-midatlantic] [OT] Cleaning a Laser printer paper
>         pickup
> Message-ID:
>         <alpine.LFD.2.21.2107201748500.28803 at cpumagic.137clearview.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
>
>
>     I use Techspray Roller Rejuvenator (#1612) on printers, tape drives
> and
> keypunches.
>
> https://www.techspray.com/content/msds/TS-1612_ENG_TDS.pdf
>
> Mike Loewen                             mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
> Old Technology                          http://q7.neurotica.com/Oldtech/
>
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2021, Jameel Akari via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
>
> > Rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl) on a swab might be enough. If they?re
> glazed over, replacement is needed. I?ve used rubber restore products on
> paper rollers in the past and it?s hit or miss.
> >
> > See if Brother has a ?maintenance kit? for this model. If it?s a more
> office-y commercial model they might.
> >
> > --
> > Jameel Akari
> >
> >> On Jul 20, 2021, at 5:15 PM, Kenneth Gober via vcf-midatlantic <
> vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> ?My experience with HP printers is that the rubber paper pickup roller
> gets
> >> hard/slick so that it doesn't pull paper properly.  If you can't get new
> >> rollers for your printer, there are chemicals out there that might
> restore
> >> the rubber enough that it will grab paper again.  I haven't ever used
> the
> >> chemicals because (so far) I've been able to get my hands on replacement
> >> rollers.
> >>
> >> -ken
> >>
> >>> On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 5:12 PM Neil Cherry via vcf-midatlantic <
> >>> vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
> >>>
> >>> Sort of off topic as it's not really vintage, It's about 10 years old
> and
> >>> I'm not
> >>> about to toss a working printer. :-)
> >>>
> >>> I have a working multi-function printer. The only issue is that its
> paper
> >>> feed
> >>> only partially picks up the paper then 'jams' or gets a no paper
> message.
> >>> I'm
> >>> pretty certain that the printer just needs a good cleaning (it's
> covered in
> >>> dust). Any pointers? What works best on the pickups?
> >>>
> >>> It's a Brother MFC-7860DW (Wireless).
> >>>
> >>> --
> >>> Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com
> >>> http://www.linuxha.com/                         Main site
> >>> http://linuxha.blogspot.com/                    My HA Blog
> >>> Author of:      Linux Smart Homes For Dummies
> k
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 19:01:21 -0400
> From: Chris Fala <chrisjpf33 at gmail.com>
> To: vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org>
> Subject: Re: [vcf-midatlantic] [OT] Cleaning a Laser printer paper
>         pickup
> Message-ID:
>         <
> CAJCHokjpZqbvxZ_s2yhT4VH5BgJx9kCefBDtpVBepdTYJ_1RHg at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> I agree completely. Those rollers just die and need to be replaced.
>
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 5:15 PM Kenneth Gober via vcf-midatlantic <
> vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
>
> > My experience with HP printers is that the rubber paper pickup roller
> gets
> > hard/slick so that it doesn't pull paper properly.  If you can't get new
> > rollers for your printer, there are chemicals out there that might
> restore
> > the rubber enough that it will grab paper again.  I haven't ever used the
> > chemicals because (so far) I've been able to get my hands on replacement
> > rollers.
> >
> > -ken
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 5:12 PM Neil Cherry via vcf-midatlantic <
> > vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Sort of off topic as it's not really vintage, It's about 10 years old
> and
> > > I'm not
> > > about to toss a working printer. :-)
> > >
> > > I have a working multi-function printer. The only issue is that its
> paper
> > > feed
> > > only partially picks up the paper then 'jams' or gets a no paper
> message.
> > > I'm
> > > pretty certain that the printer just needs a good cleaning (it's
> covered
> > in
> > > dust). Any pointers? What works best on the pickups?
> > >
> > > It's a Brother MFC-7860DW (Wireless).
> > >
> > > --
> > > Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com
> > > http://www.linuxha.com/                         Main site
> > > http://linuxha.blogspot.com/                    My HA Blog
> > > Author of:      Linux Smart Homes For Dummies
> > >
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 19:39:59 -0400
> From: Bill Degnan <billdegnan at gmail.com>
> To: vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org>
> Subject: Re: [vcf-midatlantic] [OT] Cleaning a Laser printer paper
>         pickup
> Message-ID:
>         <CABGJBuct_J2GTXKPmjfst=
> Yzz+OTtyrh9+dm31HMSvnXce_owQ at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> I have had that printer, it may not be as easy as that.  I'd just move onto
> a different printer based on my experience with it.  I don't like to give
> up on any hardware but this model is hard to justify given it's value.  My
> *opinion*, but I will be curious to see how it works out.
>
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 7:02 PM Chris Fala via vcf-midatlantic <
> vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
>
> > I agree completely. Those rollers just die and need to be replaced.
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 5:15 PM Kenneth Gober via vcf-midatlantic <
> > vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
> >
> > > My experience with HP printers is that the rubber paper pickup roller
> > gets
> > > hard/slick so that it doesn't pull paper properly.  If you can't get
> new
> > > rollers for your printer, there are chemicals out there that might
> > restore
> > > the rubber enough that it will grab paper again.  I haven't ever used
> the
> > > chemicals because (so far) I've been able to get my hands on
> replacement
> > > rollers.
> > >
> > > -ken
> > >
> > > On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 5:12 PM Neil Cherry via vcf-midatlantic <
> > > vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > > Sort of off topic as it's not really vintage, It's about 10 years old
> > and
> > > > I'm not
> > > > about to toss a working printer. :-)
> > > >
> > > > I have a working multi-function printer. The only issue is that its
> > paper
> > > > feed
> > > > only partially picks up the paper then 'jams' or gets a no paper
> > message.
> > > > I'm
> > > > pretty certain that the printer just needs a good cleaning (it's
> > covered
> > > in
> > > > dust). Any pointers? What works best on the pickups?
> > > >
> > > > It's a Brother MFC-7860DW (Wireless).
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > > Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com
> > > > http://www.linuxha.com/                         Main site
> > > > http://linuxha.blogspot.com/                    My HA Blog
> > > > Author of:      Linux Smart Homes For Dummies
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 20:40:40 -0400
> From: Bruce <freemab222 at gmail.com>
> To: vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org>
> Subject: Re: [vcf-midatlantic] [OT] Cleaning a Laser printer paper
>         pickup
> Message-ID:
>         <CAD1TJUbS3-Gtt8Om-=
> TUoKhdvboBLcQaX1wro0y_tCQW93DXwQ at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Neil,
>
> Others have given you some tricks.  Cleaning sounds like a good choice.
> Acetone, delicately applied with a cotton swab *might* deglaze a rubber
> surface, but it's a gamble (and should be done outside).
>
> But "resurfacing" ("re-stickifying") might work if all else fails.  There
> are several "liquid rubber" products out there that can be applied by brush
> or applicator stick (popsicle stick; tongue depressor) which would coat the
> "dry" surface and restore it.  Mind you, I know of no product *intended*
> for that purpose, but they work anyway.
>
> It is even possible to replace the rubber rollers with cast-in-place fresh
> rubber, if you can remove that shaft from the printer.  I vaguely recall
> YouTube videos on the subject and I know of an old TAB book on casting
> rubber parts.
>
> Bruce
> NJ
>
>
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 7:40 PM Bill Degnan via vcf-midatlantic <
> vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
>
> > I have had that printer, it may not be as easy as that.  I'd just move
> onto
> > a different printer based on my experience with it.  I don't like to give
> > up on any hardware but this model is hard to justify given it's value.
> My
> > *opinion*, but I will be curious to see how it works out.
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 7:02 PM Chris Fala via vcf-midatlantic <
> > vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I agree completely. Those rollers just die and need to be replaced.
> > >
> > > On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 5:15 PM Kenneth Gober via vcf-midatlantic <
> > > vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > > My experience with HP printers is that the rubber paper pickup roller
> > > gets
> > > > hard/slick so that it doesn't pull paper properly.  If you can't get
> > new
> > > > rollers for your printer, there are chemicals out there that might
> > > restore
> > > > the rubber enough that it will grab paper again.  I haven't ever used
> > the
> > > > chemicals because (so far) I've been able to get my hands on
> > replacement
> > > > rollers.
> > > >
> > > > -ken
> > > >
> > > > On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 5:12 PM Neil Cherry via vcf-midatlantic <
> > > > vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > Sort of off topic as it's not really vintage, It's about 10 years
> old
> > > and
> > > > > I'm not
> > > > > about to toss a working printer. :-)
> > > > >
> > > > > I have a working multi-function printer. The only issue is that its
> > > paper
> > > > > feed
> > > > > only partially picks up the paper then 'jams' or gets a no paper
> > > message.
> > > > > I'm
> > > > > pretty certain that the printer just needs a good cleaning (it's
> > > covered
> > > > in
> > > > > dust). Any pointers? What works best on the pickups?
> > > > >
> > > > > It's a Brother MFC-7860DW (Wireless).
> > > > >
> > > > > --
> > > > > Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry
> ncherry at linuxha.com
> > > > > http://www.linuxha.com/                         Main site
> > > > > http://linuxha.blogspot.com/                    My HA Blog
> > > > > Author of:      Linux Smart Homes For Dummies
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
>
> End of vcf-midatlantic Digest, Vol 38, Issue 20
> ***********************************************
>


More information about the vcf-midatlantic mailing list