[vcf-midatlantic] vcf-midatlantic Digest, Vol 38, Issue 20 - a digest with NO vintage content

Andrew Diller dillera at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 15:51:33 UTC 2021

Hello-

> On Jul 21, 2021, at 10:25 AM, Crawford Griffith via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:
>
> Alex,
>
> Hey, I’m trying to decide if I should sound off on this…. The
> VCF-midatlantic mail list seems to achieved a sort-of milestone.  I got an
> entire daily digest of non-vintage content.  I thought this list was for
> announcing VCF events?  Or at least Vintage related?

This list is for general VCF / vintage talk and discussion. As current membership is very loosely defined, currently the only definition of a member of VCF is that you are a subscriber to _this_ list. I hope that you feel like you can participate for almost any reason- esp if you feel like something isn't going the way it should.

There is another, announce only list you may be thinking of that the VCF Board runs - as I'm not on the Board (I'm a member of the VCF Mid-Atlantic Steering Committee) I'm not exactly sure what that Board list is used for.

But this list is hopefully a resource for like-minded people to talk about general vintage issues, problems, questions.. and printers.

> A little context:  I really think communities should stay on topic, or they
> will start losing the interest of their members.  If someone comes in new,
> and sees a community just blathering on, especially off-topic, it seems
> like just an exclusive clique.  I am a big fan of signal-to-noise ratio
> (SNR).  When you get to SNR ‘divide by zero’ error, we lose people
> silently who just drop away, and the Foghorn Leghorns stay on and make it
> worse.  I’ve seen entire corporate email infrastructures crushed by
> reply-all storms, so I am a bit sensitive to misuse of emails and
> un-necessarily broadband communication.

My personal feeling is that this list stays on topic very well, and even if it veers off every once in a while it's for good reasons. Refurbing printer rollers is really closer to our vintage wheelhouse than many many many other topics.

> I’ve thought several times to ask Bruce to step in and state some rules /
> principles of the list.  I would gladly help draft this, if it would help.

Do you mean Brace, as in Jeff Brace? If so, he is here.

> Please let me know what you think.
>
> Thanks,
> Crawford

-andy diller