[vcf-midatlantic] Old-school computing: when your lab PC is ancient

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Wed Jun 2 14:48:55 UTC 2021

On 6/2/21 9:07 AM, Christian Liendo via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> What they consider old school is rather new school for us.
>
> https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01431-y
>
> But I know there are people here running some really old active systems.

New school? We're teaching the classes. ;-)

My friends work on the railroad, they've kept systems from the early 1900's running. ;-)
Some of those contactors are beginning to wear out. They finally got federal funding
that wasn't tied to 'BumFrell' Iowa for safety systems. So some of the systems are
being updated.

My first job was embedded systems and it was expected that those systems would be in
use for 30 or 40 years. Manufacturers (smelting, concrete, etc.) had production
systems that had very expensive and specialize control systems that I think keeps a
few of us employed finding older systems and parts.

My Smart Home stuff that's tied to the cloud scares the hell out of me. If the
vendor decides that they're not making money on the cloud service and everything
can become bricked (I have a way around it). But just look at Revolv (Google
killed it), Wink, Staples Connect, TCP Connect, Karotz, ... all gone bye-bye.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com