[vcf-midatlantic] Old-school computing: when your lab PC is ancient

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jun 2 14:59:10 UTC 2021

On 6/2/21 10:48 AM, Neil Cherry via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> My Smart Home stuff that's tied to the cloud scares the hell out of me.
> If the
> vendor decides that they're not making money on the cloud service and
> everything
> can become bricked (I have a way around it). But just look at Revolv
> (Google
> killed it), Wink, Staples Connect, TCP Connect, Karotz, ... all gone
> bye-bye.

  No offense intended, but I don't know how any intelligent person would
ever buy that sort of stuff in the first place.  It's not like people
don't know what's going to happen in the end, and that's even ignoring
what may happen in the middle.

  It might pay to see if the stuff you have can be reflashed with
Tasmota or similar, and be used with a self-contained system like
Domoticz or similar.

  We are using both here with fantastic results, and China doesn't know
when we turn our lights on and off, and some suit in a conference room
can't just make my stuff stop working on a whim.

                -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA