[vcf-midatlantic] Old-school computing: when your lab PC is ancient

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 15:00:25 UTC 2021

Hello!
I agree with the fellow wearing the strange hat.
People at my LUG's hack night, where they try to help new people to
Linux install it on their systems typically react in a bad way at my
work with similar hardware. They just don't want to believe that stuff
like that has been around for well over forty years and more. I tell
them there are DEC PDP-11s still in service running things that cannot
be replaced. And including the odd S100 based system for the same
purpose.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com

On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 10:49 AM Neil Cherry via vcf-midatlantic

> On 6/2/21 9:07 AM, Christian Liendo via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> > What they consider old school is rather new school for us.
> >
> > https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01431-y
> >
> > But I know there are people here running some really old active systems.
> >

> New school? We're teaching the classes. ;-)
>
> My friends work on the railroad, they've kept systems from the early 1900's running. ;-)
> Some of those contactors are beginning to wear out. They finally got federal funding
> that wasn't tied to 'BumFrell' Iowa for safety systems. So some of the systems are
> being updated.
>
> My first job was embedded systems and it was expected that those systems would be in
> use for 30 or 40 years. Manufacturers (smelting, concrete, etc.) had production
> systems that had very expensive and specialize control systems that I think keeps a
> few of us employed finding older systems and parts.
>
> My Smart Home stuff that's tied to the cloud scares the hell out of me. If the
> vendor decides that they're not making money on the cloud service and everything
> can become bricked (I have a way around it). But just look at Revolv (Google
> killed it), Wink, Staples Connect, TCP Connect, Karotz, ... all gone bye-bye.
>
> --
> Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com
> http://www.linuxha.com/                         Main site
> http://linuxha.blogspot.com/                    My HA Blog
> Author of:      Linux Smart Homes For Dummies

"I said be careful with that TARDIS! She's an heirloom." said the Doctor.