[vcf-midatlantic] Old-school computing: when your lab PC is ancient

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Wed Jun 2 19:17:41 UTC 2021

So Neil Cherry posts about Smart Home [automation] stuff, which can be
turned off from cloud access at any moment by the distributors. And Dave
McGuire responds, "No offense intended, but I don't know how any
intelligent person would ever buy that sort of stuff in the first place."

Well, that's the discussion about operating vintage embedded computers,
and decades of computing products, in a nutshell. Computing associated
with control or operation of things or services, is either old and
stable; or new and long-term unstable. And either one has some choices,
and can take actions (repair, substitution, etc.) or one can't (and out
the old stuff goes, no discussion).

"Intelligence" is some other matter about skills and is just
argumentative. But it references the more general point - as discussed
in the article and the thread. There's some high-value services around
some old computers (like operating expensive lab equipment) to compel
both computer and equipment to stay in-service as original. Because,
costs of replacing the lab-service or to re-engineer a new computer, are
unacceptable.  Neil made a point about railroad equipment, to say this
is not a new thing. I'll work this a bit because the argument interests me.

"Stable" means it will continue to run until hardware failure. If it was
gonna fail, it already did. If replacing it made sense, it was already
replaced. Software can fail but if left unchanged and un-attacked, may
be "stable". So what's left as vintage and still in service defines
itself. You can call that "survivor bias", and that's what is in the
Nature article.

"Unstable" in the modern world, means failure will occur when the
providers turn off the connected services needed. Or failure of
marginally designed hardware (like some modern commodity PC's). Or
failure of software that accumulates issues which slow down operations
(anything Windows). Or: one gets bored and moves on to the next thing.
It's a race to see which occurs first.

When the pace of change is faster than the breakdown of products and
services, "unstable" as I described it doesn't matter. You've replaced
it or moved on already. And if that's the norm, then it takes some
explanation to describe an alternative world. That world, is the world
of the past (in the United States).

The modern bias comes from the computing world experience of the 1980's
and 90's, when "smaller cheaper faster" computing due to basic physics,
became some mantra. First it applied to any service that could be
wrapped around information technology. Then it became about jobs and
production and consumables, and other science and technology.

Now we have a world where most everything seems to be about information
services - with many costs at zero, the "race to the bottom". So how do
you make a dollar? Charge for services; extract value from information;
build cheap so items need replacement and services can be upgraded. A
lot of modern problems are a consequence of that.

Neil talks about "reliable" in the sense, of services and items built
for durability and repair in use, which still provide a desired service,
and a service of high even essential value. In the 21st century
"reliable" has to be explained because of the assumption that "new" is
better, and lack of (good) experience with repair. And, an effort to
avoid repair or maintenance costs to encourage replacements (as a market
opportunity for providers). And, a simple lack of (modern) individual
experience and understanding, about the physical world and the operation
of things in that world.

> People at my LUG's hack night, where they try to help new people to
> install Linux on their systems, typically react in a bad way at my
> work with similar hardware. They just don't want to believe that stuff
> like that has been around for well over forty years and more. - Greg Levine

Some days ago, someone posted in VCFed or the IXR list, about the need
to advocate "the right to repair". I said in so many words, to
appreciate "repair" one has to learn about a time when repair was not
only possible but considered desirable or even preferable. That's one
reason I have a Web site, to preserve some of that history. The Nature
article addresses historic artifacts in some of the same ways, not so
much about repair as substitution. What it says and doesn't say, I find
informative.

Regards, Herb Johnson

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net
or try later herbjohnson AT comcast DOT net