[vcf-midatlantic] Old-school computing: when your lab PC is ancient

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jun 4 00:03:47 UTC 2021

On 6/3/21 11:32 AM, Neil Cherry wrote:
>>> My Smart Home stuff that's tied to the cloud scares the hell out of
>>> me. If the vendor decides that they're not making money on
>>> the cloud service and everything can become bricked (I have a way
>>> around it). But just look at Revolv (Google killed it), Wink,
>>> Staples Connect, TCP Connect, Karotz, ... all gone bye-bye.
>>
>> No offense intended, but I don't know how any intelligent person would
>
> <humor>
> Too late ... you owe me an apology (Cole Oyl - Popeye - 1980)
> </humor>

  Well...sorry.  But man, you had to know that was an awful idea.  Sure,
the whole world does it, but it's still an awful idea.

>> ever buy that sort of stuff in the first place.  It's not like people
>> don't know what's going to happen in the end, and that's
>> even ignoring what may happen in the middle.
>
> I did purchase the V2 SmartThings (ST) hub just before Samsung. The hub
> is great but
> the recent announcement that ST will brick the V1 hub June 1st (wow,
> that's blunt)
> and Amazon's Sidewalk (hey we're going to share your network for our own
> needs)

  Yup.  Suits.  Don't let 'em into your house, man!

> But back on topic, it is amazing at how quick a service gets shutdown
> leaving you
> with expensive equipment or something you've hack back into service.
> I've had many
> opportunities to do that in a lab.

  Yeah, and people know that going in, and they STILL buy that stuff.
Unbelievable.

> On the commercial side Cisco did support a lot of legacy protocols (HP
> Printing,
> DECNet LAT/LAST, Bi-sync, etc.) until about mid aughts.

  Pretty sure they still support DECnet.

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ