[vcf-midatlantic] Old-school computing: when your lab PC is ancient

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Fri Jun 4 03:36:33 UTC 2021

On 6/3/21 8:03 PM, Dave McGuire via vcf-midatlantic wrote:

>>> No offense intended, but I don't know how any intelligent person would
>>
>> <humor>
>> Too late ... you owe me an apology (Cole Oyl - Popeye - 1980)
>> </humor>
>
>    Well...sorry.  But man, you had to know that was an awful idea.  Sure,
> the whole world does it, but it's still an awful idea.

Dave, my humor is lost on you (hmm, that might be true of most people ...
but I enjoyed it). Yes, it's a bad idea but there are so many bad ideas
to choose from.

The SmartThings V2 Hub has served it's purpose. It worked for my learning
period. I now have the ability to replace the hub with a Pi, ZigBee, Z-Wave,
and Bluetooth dongles. I can replace the Groovy code with Javascript (Node-Red).
And I can add a lot more than SmartThings. No cloud necessary and I can integrate
ancient protocols like X10 in if I choose. I'm pretty sure that most of folks
couldn't build this setup (there are a few here that can).

>>> ever buy that sort of stuff in the first place.  It's not like people
>>> don't know what's going to happen in the end, and that's
>>> even ignoring what may happen in the middle.
>>
>> I did purchase the V2 SmartThings (ST) hub just before Samsung. The hub
>> is great but
>> the recent announcement that ST will brick the V1 hub June 1st (wow,
>> that's blunt)
>> and Amazon's Sidewalk (hey we're going to share your network for our own
>> needs)
>
>    Yup.  Suits.  Don't let 'em into your house, man!

They're already there but by next year SmartThings Suits won't be in my
home any longer.

>> But back on topic, it is amazing at how quick a service gets shutdown
>> leaving you
>> with expensive equipment or something you've hack back into service.
>> I've had many
>> opportunities to do that in a lab.
>
>    Yeah, and people know that going in, and they STILL buy that stuff.
> Unbelievable.

You do know that they'll be shutting down the 4G/5G network someday? Still bought
a cell phone? Yes it will be around a lot longer than Wink, Staples Connect or
Quirky. But most folks don't know that. And there are enough 'experts' to
confuse even the smartest of folks.

>> On the commercial side Cisco did support a lot of legacy protocols (HP
>> Printing,
>> DECNet LAT/LAST, Bi-sync, etc.) until about mid aughts.
>
>    Pretty sure they still support DECnet.

I think you are correct, I thought we were past IOS and onto something
else. I'm spending too much time in the SDN. At least they pay well.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com