[vcf-midatlantic] Old-school computing: when your lab PC is ancient

laurakid laurakid7 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 6 17:22:47 UTC 2021

I appreciate this thread vindicating my weariness towards smart technology.  My basic concerns were that I didn’t want my kitchen appliances to be smarter than me jk 😂. Also didn’t want risk of hacking (though I know highly unlikely, it’s the principle).

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Thursday, June 3, 2021, 11:32 AM, Neil Cherry via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:

On 6/2/21 10:59 AM, Dave McGuire via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> On 6/2/21 10:48 AM, Neil Cherry via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
>> My Smart Home stuff that's tied to the cloud scares the hell out of me. If the vendor decides that they're not making money on
>> the cloud service and everything can become bricked (I have a way around it). But just look at Revolv (Google killed it), Wink,
>> Staples Connect, TCP Connect, Karotz, ... all gone bye-bye.
>
> No offense intended, but I don't know how any intelligent person would

<humor>
Too late ... you owe me an apology (Cole Oyl - Popeye - 1980)
</humor>

> ever buy that sort of stuff in the first place.  It's not like people don't know what's going to happen in the end, and that's
> even ignoring what may happen in the middle.

I did purchase the V2 SmartThings (ST) hub just before Samsung. The hub is great but
the recent announcement that ST will brick the V1 hub June 1st (wow, that's blunt)
and Amazon's Sidewalk (hey we're going to share your network for our own needs)
is speeding up my migration to the Pi & and the needed radios and open source
software. I'm hoping to have that all ready for TCF 2021.

The rest were WTFrell (Quirky) to dang I had hope (Home Depot/Lowes & Wink).
First adopters to be optimistic, not all are realistic. But many are intelligent.
I find kickstarters to be gambling and unless it's something I can treat like
a prototype I won't jump at it. So far I haven't jumped at any kickstarters. ;-)

But back on topic, it is amazing at how quick a service gets shutdown leaving you
with expensive equipment or something you've hack back into service. I've had many
opportunities to do that in a lab.

On the commercial side Cisco did support a lot of legacy protocols (HP Printing,
DECNet LAT/LAST, Bi-sync, etc.) until about mid aughts.

Linux Home Automation        Neil Cherry      ncherry at linuxha.com
http://www.linuxha.com/                         Main site
http://linuxha.blogspot.com/                   My HA Blog
Author of:        Linux Smart Homes For Dummies