[vcf-midatlantic] Tales from the Repair Workshop 6/12 & 6/13, 2021

laurakid laurakid7 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 14 14:38:38 UTC 2021

Sorry I missed it!  I guess I have to wait until August.  No idea where System Source is : ).

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Monday, June 14, 2021, 10:35 AM, Jeffrey Brace via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:

I have two tales to tell about the repair workshop that are funny, but I
won't tell them here. You will have to ask me in person, but I intend to
repeat them over and over again until people get sick of me telling them.
Then I will tell new stories.

The repair workshop was well attended this time with the usual suspects and
some new ones as well.

Jeff Salzman and Herb got the H89 working! So now it is available for
operation and display in the museum. I thank them very much for all their
hard work in working on the repair of the machine and getting it into
operation. It has been sitting in the museum for years as a static display
and it is lovely to see it actually display something on the screen and
operate. We have Vcalc and 1 or 2 other pieces of software (I forget what
they are at the moment). Jeff Salzman intends to make other software disks
available to the museum the next time he comes or he can give me the disks
at the July repair workshop @ System Source.

David Gesswein worked on the PDP 8. The original intention was to train me
on papertape and software loading, but he discovered that there were some
faults. He had suspected it to be one problem on two cards, but that wasn't
the case. He found out one of the diodes needed replacement and it worked
better. However there was another problem on another card, but he ran out
of time and will take the card home to troubleshoot and narrow down the
problem.

I know that others were working on various things, but I didn't have time
to get details.
Always a fun time at the workshop and lots of stuff getting fixed. Going to
Brick House Tap & Tavern was a welcome change. Main Street Bar and Grill is
nice, but we have overdone it and needed to change up things. I'm
considering doing an outdoor grill at the August repair workshop cooking
burgers and hotdogs.

Next repair workshops are:
July 10 & 11 @ System Source : SIGNUP
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KROoCNqTiTWgsXvijGBqvNblZa8weS6a8hEkXpmO_Ao/edit?usp=sharing>
August 14 & 15 @ InfoAge: SIGNUP
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J028DlSdvSUlh3BsrGfmalHQ9qbFfPSUQa9Exn1aoJs/edit?usp=sharing>
Jeff Brace
Vice President & Board Member
Vintage Computer Festival East Show-runner
http://www.vcfed.org/
jeffrey at vcfed.org