[vcf-midatlantic] Tales from Atari ST oddness

Wil Birkmaier wil at birkmaier.org
Mon Jun 14 20:48:00 UTC 2021

That’s interesting. Would like to hear the details on that. I always just assumed the border was done for a couple reasons. One was there were parts of the max resolution of the screen not used (320x200) vs ~704x262 max for progressive when talking NTSC and if you run some hacks that over scan, the picture will be cut off on the top and bottom if you mess with adjustments. Just like today having black bars on top and bottom for unused pixels __ You will probably mess up the aspect ratio.

The other reason too I again assume is the distortion on the edges of a curved CRT, lines may bow, etc.

Would love to see the specs of the color monitors that I think are Philips made.

On 6/14/21, 4:10 PM, "vcf-midatlantic on behalf of Ethan O'Toole via vcf-midatlantic" <vcf-midatlantic-bounces at lists.vcfed.org on behalf of vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:

    > Just get some TV tools (plastic screwdrivers essentially) and adjust the H and W pots on the TV board, careful not to
    > touch the tube and die. I did this on several of the mono ST screens which shipped displaying postage-stamp-sized images.
    > Was pretty easy. And I was 13.
    > bp

    I have the plastic tools (Arcade monitors!) but I read on Atari Age (or
    maybe Amibay) that there is a component that needs to be swapped out on
    the color monitor before you make the image fill the monitor. They
    purposely undersized the image because it would strain the part and kill
    it.

    There was a pointer to a zip file with the old school text file that
    describes it and what to replace. I just googled but not finding the post.

     		- Ethan