[vcf-midatlantic] Laserdisk transfer to digital?

Matt Patoray mspproductions at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 15:21:24 UTC 2021

Jeff,
Are you able to post pictures of any of the discs including the label area.
Laserdiscs came in a couple of different formats each with their own nuances.
There is your bog standard commercially duplicated LD that is produced pretty much like a CD. There are several companies that did this with varying degrees of success, Kunaray and Mitsubishi chemical being the best and Digital Audio Disc Corp (DADC) being the worst.

Then there is the Record once read many laserdisc, which used a dye based disc to record single or short run discs.

Laserdisc is a component format which was mastered from 1” C or 1” B until the advent of of the digital videotape recorder then D1 and later D2 became the mastering format for laserdisc.

As for what video format they should be captured in, I always recommend 10 bit YUV uncompressed with 24/48 PCM uncompressed audio.

For digitizing they video nothing is better than a “broadcast quality” transcoder/TBC, running composite out of the player is the best option since LaserDisc is a composite video format and any conversion to S-Video would be late 80’s-early 90’s consumer grade.

That transcoding will give you standard SDI 10 bit digital component video, which you can then capture with many different devices.

As for players, the Pioneer LD-S-2 is probably the best ever made. It’s a laserdisc only model with a laser optimized for LaserDisc reading, just like the older players with Helium Neon lasers.

Just my $0.02 and yes I can do the transfers if needed.

Matt
Sent from my iPhone