[vcf-midatlantic] Laserdisk transfer to digital?

Wil Birkmaier wil at birkmaier.org
Mon Jun 21 18:21:41 UTC 2021

I had forgotten about this! I think there was some talk about using this for MAME or something to allow full emulation of Dragon's Lair and other FMV games from the arcades.

On 6/20/21, 4:49 PM, "vcf-midatlantic on behalf of David Ryskalczyk via vcf-midatlantic" <vcf-midatlantic-bounces at lists.vcfed.org on behalf of vcf-midatlantic at lists.vcfed.org> wrote:

    > There is a device available called the Domesday Duplicator that would allow
    > you to capture the video from Laserdiscs at the best possible quality for
    > archiving the contents.

    This really is the way to go — it captures the signal directly from the disc, which is then processed using the open-source ld-decode software. This allows for some fairly advanced recovery, including dropout correction/repair. As the software is improved over time, the captured data can be reprocessed, resulting in improved conversions. One downside, though, is that each capture can take as much as 40-80GB per disc.

    Unfortunately, setting up a capture environment is not the most straightforward —among other things, it is necessary to calibrate the LD player using a GGV1069 calibration disc. I'm not sure these are still available, but as of 6 months ago or so they were from Donberg Electronics and PacParts.

    More detailed information on this process can be found at https://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=978 <https://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=978> and  assistance can be obtained at the project Discord which is linked from https://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=416 <https://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=416>. If the quantity of discs does not justify setting up a capture environment and VCF is willing to mail the discs to a project member for capture, it might be possible to arrange for this as well — they are very much interested in getting non-movie LaserDisc titles captured.

    David