[vcf-midatlantic] Laserdisk transfer to digital?

Jonathan Gevaryahu jgevaryahu at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 21:48:13 UTC 2021

The Domesday Duplicator technology is pretty much brand new, and
captures the raw RF pickup from the laserdisc head directly. Speaking to
preservation groups, the quality-of-preservation bar for these sort of
laserdisc captures is much higher than it was even 10 years ago.

The raw capture from a Domesday Duplicator also is an exact copy of the
disc as read including every frame and vblank field, so if future
improvements are made on the decoding software, this can be re-run
against the captured disc image to improve the resulting quality. A
done-once format conversion from a laserdisc player to a capture device
(even with TBC applied by said device) doesn't allow reprocessing later
without re-imaging the disc once again.

Anything which involves format conversion/re-encoding rather than raw
capture will end up degrading the final result. Things like TBC can be
done in software, in post.

--
Jonathan Gevaryahu
jgevaryahu at gmail.com