[vcf-midatlantic] Sperry Univac Core - Which computer and Capacity?

Douglas Crawford touchetek at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 18:18:09 UTC 2021

On 6/23/2021 8:33 AM, Duane Craps via vcf-midatlantic wrote:

> On 6/22/2021 12:15 PM, Douglas Crawford via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
>> Board is identified as 90536-7128081-00 G
>> Web hits on this are thin.
>> Anyone know what Univac machine this is from and its capacity?
>> I suppose count of the wires H x L  = # of bits of storage, and one
>> side is the word size of the computer?
>> Confirmation?
>> https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/kw4AAOSwwlBgujxR/s-l1600.jpg
>> Thanks,
>> DC
>
> That would be the Drawing Number. The part number is one higher and is
> on one of the connectors.
>
> Listed here as a 8K memory board for AN/UYK-20(  page 15) :
>
> UYK_20_20A_Technical_Summary_May91.pdf (trailing-edge.com)
> <http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/univac/military/an_uyk-20/UYK_20_20A_Technical_Summary_May91.pdf>
>
> I never saw one without the covers.
>
> I remember them as being 16 bits wide, so the core planes must be 8 deep.

OK very cool now we got to the bottom of it! :)
You are right- 1 higher part as connector P2 says "90536 ASSY 7128082"
Which is a direct match to page 15: "Core Array 8k"
That would be 8K of the word-size of the computer - which I read is 16 bits.
Which comes full circle to Bill Deg ... claiming it was 16K... which I
figure he was thinking bytes, and if so, correct!
1991 publication on that document, and the computer had a long run with
the Navy of course.
so no wonder the board artwork is hand routed but the board is populated
with 79 - 82 date code ICs.
Wikis put the development in the early 70s. Pretty neat pedigree for
this board.
So great to know what it was from.
Thanks Duane!  Excellent.

If you would like to see the real thing without the covers I can bring
it to the museum.
I'd love to have you look at it, and we can check the geometry of the
core planes to see
if they are 8 deep as you suggest.

DC