[vcf-midatlantic] Original Macintosh Architecture Questions

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 24 17:21:23 UTC 2021

On 6/24/21 1:16 PM, Andrew Diller wrote:
> OK- while SGI is usually associated with the desktop gfx visualization
> space they did quite a lot in the cluster and super computing space...

  Yes.  I myself tend to think of that first when SGI comes up, as I did
a lot of stuff in the HPC world.

> The Power Challenge and Origin systems were all designed to be
> supercomputing clusters.

  Yes.  The Origin architecture is nothing short of glorious.

> The MIPS R8000 was a fascinating dead-end in chip development:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R8000

  It's an amazing chip.  I do have a deskside Challenge with R8000 CPUs.
 It's on the list of things to get running in the third exhibit floor,
if anyone ever gets to it.

> I look forward to visiting and seeing what you have out there.

  Well again, most of the SGI stuff is in storage, but we can go see
most of it at least.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ