[vcf-midatlantic] Original Macintosh Architecture Questions

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 24 17:31:57 UTC 2021

On 6/24/21 1:27 PM, Christian Liendo via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> I went to an Origin 2000/Onyx2 training back in 1997. I think 97.
>
> It was at the building that is now the Computer History Museum.
>
> Most of the people I met were with the military and oil and gas.
>
> The US government had a lot of SGIs.
>
> In fact for a while, we used to look for parts on the gov auctions.

  We beta-tested the 2000 at Digex.

  I picked up my Origin 2400 at a surplus dealer in Virginia about ten
years ago.  It had NASA property stickers on it; it had come from
Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, MD.  Surprisingly, the disks
were intact.

  I used to live in Greenbelt; that's where Digex was founded.  A guy
who worked for me, my dear friend Mike Donovan, left Digex when we all
dispersed, and went on to work for NASA at GSFC.  He was the admin in
charge of all SGI systems there.

  There was an /etc/passwd entry for him on that Origin 2400.  I emailed
him to discuss it; he told me all about what the machine had been doing,
and gave me a lot of history about its service life there.

  Strange and fun coincidences!

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ