[vcf-midatlantic] Amiga 1000 (or any model) that needs a kickstart disk

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 19:23:39 UTC 2021

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 2:12 PM Bill Degnan via vcf-midatlantic
> thanks.  I have a beta version of 1.2 and a "gamma" version of 1.4.

I would expect both of those to work.  I remember the 'gamma 1.4" and
while I played with it, there was no compelling reason to use it.  I
switched to 2.04 when I got my Rejuvinator and that really extended
the useful life of my A1000.

> Otherwise I have no disks and will have to make them.  My 1000 is very
> early, the dates on the chips are spring/summer of 85.  It could be then
> that the disk drive is bad, the disks are bad, and/or I need to make a 1.1
> Kickstart disk..

You could have dirty heads, bad disks, possibly a bad drive... there's
no reason I know of that you'd be restricted to KS 1.1.  No change in
motherboard ROMs, no change in chips (original chips or EHB Denise,
etc).

It sounds like you don't have another Amiga, even an A500 handy or you
should be able to copy disks.

There's nothing magical about a Kickstart disk - identical low-level
format to "regular" 880K Amiga disks, it just has a signature word at
the front and contains a valid KS firmare image on the first 256 that
all the A1000 ROMs know how to import.

-ethan