[vcf-midatlantic] Amiga 1000 (or any model) that needs a kickstart disk

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 20:56:06 UTC 2021

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 2:27 PM Bill Degnan via vcf-midatlantic <
> > There's nothing magical about a Kickstart disk - identical low-level
> > format to "regular" 880K Amiga disks, it just has a signature word at
> > the front and contains a valid KS firmare image on the first 256 that
> > all the A1000 ROMs know how to import.
>
> I have only Amigas with Kickstart ROMs, other than the 1000.

You can use any Amiga to copy Kickstart disks.  You could even use another
Amiga to duplicate any of the KS disks you have right now - if you get a
read error trying to copy it, you have bad media.  I don't know that
there's any easy way to check for corruption (i.e., how to checksum the
data), but if you have a way to get files from the Internet onto any Amiga,

> Obviously the drive could be bad, etc.  I just wanted to see if anyone
knew
> whether the very first 1000 required the very first kickstart disk or not.
> You never know.

No.  There's nothing "special" about the early A1000s.