[vcf-midatlantic] Bernoulli Drives needed in working condition

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue May 18 14:49:47 UTC 2021

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 10:39 AM Dean Notarnicola via vcf-midatlantic
> If data security is a concern, but we want to retain the media, then a
> three-pass overwrite with varying bit patterns may be the only viable
> option, as formatting may not clear the sectors.  Of course, the only
> foolproof way to make sure the data is unrecoverable is to destroy the
> media.

Unless someone p[lans to employ NSA-grade electron-microscope
track-edge detection on the media, overwriting it with zeros even once
is very secure.

Yes, you _can_ get edge bits and weak bits and all of that, but who is
going to go to that much effort?

Triple-wipe is plenty good enough for anything short of state secrets.

-ethan