[vcf-midatlantic] Bernoulli Drives needed in working condition

Ethan O'Toole telmnstr at 757.org
Tue May 18 15:16:39 UTC 2021

>  Those are the earlier ones, 8" disks 10MB and 20MB.  Looking at that
> board on eBay the memories are starting to come back. ;)  There are a
> few different interfaces; the one you referenced above is the better
> one, with some buffering.  Any of them should work I think.  I remember
> that I used several different models on the 8" drives over the years.

Ah I never saw the 8" ones, jsut the ones that were probably like 5.25" or
so.

>  Incidentally, I currently use a pair of 44MB SCSI Bernoulli drives on
> my personal PDP-11/34 (here at home, not at LSSM) interfaced via a
> Unibus SCSI host adapter.  I run RT-11, RSTS/E, and RSX-11M that way.
> Works a treat, and it's very handy for healing the soul when something
> stresses me out.

Awesome! The 44Mb (and maybe 88Mb?) ones I dealt with were as a young lad
working at a government contractor on a Navy base. The command there used
them for the secure messaging computers. They would toss the classified
ones in the safe and have me fix the unclass one, write down what I did
then do the same on the classified ones.

When I was young DOS kid I always thought the removable cart "hard drives"
seemed better than a normal hard drive because ou could expand it. Didn't
know about access times. Later had a zip drive, they were cool.

I still have a few Zip drives and a Jaz drive somewhere, freebs picked up
along the way years later.

I did have a SCSI 100Mb zip in a music sampler box that click of deathed
on me when I needed it the most.

Young and dumber (maybe) I had sampled a few clips from the movie
"Contact" of the little girl saying like "CQ CQ this is blablabal" and
what not. On the EMU sampler you didn't need midi device to drive it,
there was 10 number buttons on the front you could assign it to. So I
assigned these girl-on-the-ham-radio samples to the buttons, threw it in
the car with something programmed to xmit on the hamfest repeater freq and
an inverter... with the idea I would toy with the hamfest hams and give
them some excitement. Arrive to the Virginia Beach hamfest and sure enough
the zip drive click of deaths on me. It was never ment to be.